Director, Investigations Workshops for Transforming Mathematics
Program/Areas of Interest
Mathematics teaching and learning in elementary schools and adult education settings; face-to-face and online professional development; online course development in math
I have been at TERC since 1996 working on several projects in the following areas.
- Professional Development: (Investigations Workshops: Investigations in the Classroom; Building Computational Fluency; Counting and Computation; Fractions and Decimals; Algebraic Reasoning; Principals’ Institute)
- Curriculum development: (EMPower – Extending Mathematical Power)
- Online course development: (Implementing Investigations; Computational Fluency and the Common Core; Making Sense of Fractions)
- Math Specialist for schools K-12 in the Northeast, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (Regional Alliance for Mathematics and Science Education Reform)
Before coming to TERC, I taught mathematics and worked with teachers for over 20 years at a number of institutions: La Guardia Community College in New York; Uni-High (lab school at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana); University of Minnesota and Macalester College in St. Paul, MN; and at Santa Barbara City College in Santa Barbara, CA. I have a Ph.D. in Mathematics Education from Teachers College, Columbia University, and an undergraduate degree in mathematics from the Universidad de los Andes in Bogotá, Colombia. My native language is Spanish. My husband, Mark, is a physicist; we have three grown children.
- EMPower Series Schmitt, M.J., Steinback, M., Donovan, P., and Merson, M. (2005 & 2006) Emeryville, CA. Key Curriculum Press
- Gender differences in mathematics attitudes of secondary students. Steinback, M. and Gwizdala, J. (1995) School Science and Mathematics, 1, 1-6
- Measurement in Adult Education: Starting with Students’ Understandings. Steinback, M., Schmitt, M.J., Merson, M., and Leonelli, E. (2003) In D. Clements & G. Bright (Eds.) Learning and Teaching Measurement Yearbook of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, pp. 318-331). Reston, VA: NCTM
- The Interpersonal Side of Professional Development in Math Steinback, M. and Sherman, K (2007) National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics Journal. (10, 1) 25-31